October Networking Breakfast - 5 Key Moments
- Posted on: 4th October 2018
- Posted in: News
5 Key Moments from October’s Network Albion Business Club networking breakfast at the Amex!
1) Olympic Medallist, Teacher, Leadership Development Consultant and Coach, Dr Alison Mowbray, joined us as guest speaker this morning.
2) Alison spoke about her journey from not being involved in sport at all from a young age to winning a silver medal at the Olympics. She didn’t enjoy doing any sport at school, before – when going to university to study Science - she discovered rowing. At the age of 18 and getting on a boat for the first time, she was instantly hooked – she had finally found a sport she could enjoy – and one that it was beneficial to be tall! Alison carried on with her studies, achieving a first class degree at Liverpool University, and continuing to Cambridge where she achieved PhD (still to date one of her hardest challenges and biggest achievements).
3) During her time in education Alison became distant from the sport she fell in love with. However, at the age of 27, her passion and desire to compete again returned, making the goal that she could, and would, compete in the Olympics. She attended various trials and eventually, after years of hard work, made it to the 2000 Sydney Olympics. After competing, setting a new personal best but not returning with a medal, she returned home feeling that she needed to set herself a new goal. Alison spent the next four years working everyday, with the aim of winning an Olympic medal at the 2004 Athens Olympics. Competing in a slightly different format, Alison did achieve her goal and won a silver medal in the women’s quadruple – a medal she shared with the delegates in attendance! Find more information about Alison’s story and details of her book and current work here.
5) Jack Joyce and Steph Punfield from the Brighton & Hove Albion FC commercial team were present and on hand to discuss upcoming corporate opportunities, including matchday hospitality, various sponsorship packages amongst other offerings. Find further details here.
Network Albion Business Club is part of the Network My Club group, and details of other upcoming events across the South and in London mentioned at the meeting are: